Green Card is the desired document for those who have the dream of living in the United States, officially known as the U.S. Permanent Resident Card. It is usually granted by the U.S. authorities to immigrants who intend to live and work in the U.S.

In the United States, all types of visas are temporary, such as the work visa (which lasts only for the period of the contract with the American company) and the student visa (which lasts the same period as the course and does not allow you to work). Therefore, those who intend to live in the United States should start the process of applying for a Green Card as soon as possible.

The Green Card holder has numerous advantages. Once the immigrant has this document, he/she is entitled to the same rights as a U.S. citizen. Citizens with a Green Card can work throughout the country and take courses at affordable prices and have access to education, health care, and other benefits offered by the U.S. government. The Green Card grants permanent residency in the United States but does not allow the holder to be absent from the United States for longer than a year.


If you want to have a Green Card to live and work in the U.S., there are a few ways to get it legally.


The easiest way to get a Green Card is to marry an American. Once the marriage is confirmed, it is almost impossible that authorities will stop accepting your right to live and work in the United States. But be careful, sham marriages to get your Green Card is a federal crime and most of the time easily detected by the authorities.

After getting married to an American citizen, you can apply for a Green Card by filling out the I-130 form from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The alien spouse first receives a conditional Green Card, which lasts two years. After two years, if the marriage still exists, a new interview is scheduled by USCIS to finally grant the 10-year document.


Green cards, through family, must be applied for by filling out Form I-130, just as in the case of a marriage union.

Another very fast way to get a Green Card is through immediate family members who already have American citizenship. Study the beginning of your family tree: if your father, mother, siblings, or children have US citizenship, you can already apply for your permanent visa.


When applying for this document, to have an employer interested in hiring you in the U.S. is very helpful. Because once the company considers you as an essential employee to the company, you can use this argument before the American government. This would turn, in a short time, your work visa into a Green Card.

Those who intend to get a permanent residence permit, through their employer, need to fill out form I-140.


Cradle of capitalism, the United States does not have the strongest economy in the world by accident. With several programs to encourage investors, the American government aims to create jobs and always tries to bring as much capital as possible into the country’s markets.

So, if you are really interested in getting a Green Card to live and work in the USA in 2020, you can achieve this goal by investing some money in the country.

You will open a business in the USA. The capital to be invested is estimated to be from $500,000 to $1 million, depending on the region you decide to invest in.

The immigrant investor can get permanent resident status by filling out Form I-526.

Brazilians with Italian citizenship have easier ways to invest in the United States and get a Green Card. The minimum amount drops from $500,000 to $100,000.